- 1 Top 5 Best Baitcasting Reel Reviews
- 2 Top 10 Best Baitcasting Reel Reviews Under 50, 100 And 200 Dollars
Top 5 Best Baitcasting Reel Reviews
When it comes to baitcasting, the first thing that we need to mention here is, the experienced users might be aware of the term “baitcasting”, for the novice users, it means the spinning reels. These are also known as the spool reels. These were developed for allowing the use of artificial flies Most of the time, the abu garcia baitcaster reel comes with a casting rod along with a trigger handle. This is just the opposite of the spinning reel that is placed underneath a spinning rod along with the line guides facing down.
The casting reels are available in both left and right handed models but the right-handed models are more popular. It is not possible to swap the handles and this is why you have to choose the best fit abu garcia baitcaster. If you don’t want to switch hands, then the best option is to choose such a configuration that is just the same as the spinning reel setup. Now, in this section of the article, we are going to bring you the most important things that you need to check out while buying baitcasting reels.
Choosing the right gear ratio is very much important
The gear ratio describes the speed of the reels. All the abu garcia revo stx baitcasting reels come with a gear ratio. The most common gear ratios are 5:4:1, 6:4:1 and 7:1:1. But the thing is what do these numbers mean? The first set of numbers mean that how many revolutions the spool will make for every turn of the reel handle. The most common ratio for the gear is 6:4:1.
This allows abu garcia revo stx for both fast and slow moving as well. But there are certain gears and techniques, a very high and low gear ratio works best. For instance, if you want to burn spinnerbait, then the best option is to choose the 7:4:1 ratio. On the other hand, if you are working on crankbait, then the best option is a slow gear ratio for the bait caster. The higher gear ratios are much better in the fishing areas of small strike zones. This allows the bait to get back into the boat.
The baitcasting reels come with braking systems as well. These brakes adjust and then slow down the rotation of the spool within the cast. If there is no braking system, then there would be a constant backlash. If you are unaware of the term, it means a knotted mess of the line that you are left when the spool continues to revolve after the lure has stopped working. While buying a bait caster, you need to know that, there are two types of brakes that are available.
One is the centrifugal brake that is fiction based. These use the pins on the side of the plate of the reel for making adjustments. To engage the brakes, you have to push the pins forward. To get a six pattern baitcaster reel system, you need to adjust the pins that are across each other. Both the pins need to be either on or off. The magnetic brakes are a bit complicated but they depend mostly on the magnets for decreasing the spool revolution rate. These brakes are also adjustable by the angler.
This is another important factor that needs to be remembered while choosing the right baitcaster reel. If you are choosing a larger and stronger spool size, then you shall need a heavier line and this is going to take up a lot more space than you can ever imagine. Now, if that is the case, then you need to check out a reel that has got a nice and deep spool which is capable of holding all the line that you shall need.
You shall also need an extra line to let the larger fish make the runs. So, you have to keep in mind that, the larger the fish, the bigger spool you shall need. You can opt for the lighter lines for baitcaster vs spinning reel if you are choosing to do bass fishing. If you check out the 12-pound test, it will help you in knowing the strength without sacrificing the versatility and getting the accuracy as well.
You have to remember that comfort is the key while considering baitcaster vs spinning reel. If you are buying a baitcasting reel that is not really comfortable for you, then you will not be able to become an effective angler. If you get a comfortable grip and a well-balanced rod, then it will help you with the accuracy, especially when you have done a number of single outings of baitcasting.
So, you have to take time and then make a final decision about selecting the right baitcasting reels. Test the mechanisms of different reels like the thumb latches, reeling handles, drag settings, tensioners and other features as well. You can purchase from anywhere, but the best option is to check out a store that has got a good collection of baitcasting reels.
How to spool a baitcaster – be a professional in few steps
Here are the points that are going to help you in being one of the most professional bait casters.
- Well, the first thing that you ought to understand is the specification of the baitcasting reels. This is a very important step. For this, you have to stick to the instructions of the manufacturer and then check the recommendations for the type of rod. Also, you need to know how you have to set up the tension of the spool. Consider the right braking systems and the best rod length.
- The next thing you have to take care is to reel the line correctly. To make sure how to use a best baitcasting reel, you have to opt for a heavy line. You have to reel in line till the bait is either six or twelve inches long. If you have got a bobber or a sinker attached to the line, then you have to make sure that it is also 6-12 inches away from the rod tip.
- You have to clutch the rod just behind the best baitcasting reel once you have placed the thumb over the reel pool. With the baitcaster rod, you have to switch hands while making the casts and to attain more control over the line during casting, it is important that the thumb is placed on the spool at an angle, instead of a flat line.
- Now, adjust the rod so that it can be pointed upwards. If you are right-handed, you need to hold the rod in one o’clock position. This will enable you in using the wrist while making the casts. And if you use your left hand, then the handles will be faced down. Now, you can press the release button. Once you do this, you need to make sure that your limb is firmly placed on the spool. Majority of the best baitcasting reel under 100 come with a release button that is placed behind the spool. This is what makes it easier.
- Then it is the time to train your thumb. Remember, while using the best baitcasting reel under 100, your thumb is going to control the spool and it will also ride on it. First of all, tie the reel on an object of not so much weight and then, sit down, loosen up the spool control till the weight goes down freely. By doing this, you will eventually get better at nabbing a high-quality bait.
- Now, let go of the spool. Once you let go of the spool, you are allowing the weight to drop. This will reduce the chances of backlash during the first cast. The reason is it sets up the braking mechanism in such a way that the spool stops spinning while the weight reaches the ground. For increasing the casting distance, you have to reduce using the brakes once you become an expert at using the daiwa baitcaster.
- Make the cast and avoid the backlash. For avoiding any backlash, just release the button that your thumb is resting on the spool. You have to cast the weight with your whole arm and not only the wrist for snapping the lure forward. The handle of the reel needs to be faced upwards for increasing the performance of the reels. If you are making longer casts, you have to make sure that the braking system of the daiwa baitcaster has been loosened.
- Finally, when the high-quality bait has hit the target, you should stop immediately. Just press the reel spool with your thumb for stopping the bait when it has hit the target. You must remember to do this on time. If you fail to do this on time, then the spool will keep running and will eventually lead to an overrun. And if this happens, then you will have to straighten up the baitcaster reel before retrieving the lure.
In this blog, we have brought you the top 5 best baitcasting reels. We have also covered the most important things to check out before you buy a baitcaster reel. You need to remember that, always wear protective clothing while going for baitcasting. This will protect you from any pointed hooks or other sharp needles while baitcasting.
Plan to make your casts in an open area away from the trees and you have o keep practicing till you are becoming an expert at baitcasting. This is not about casting baits or lures that are light. For instance, if the lures weigh less than a quarter ounce, then it is not suitable for baitcasting. Keeping all these things in mind, we hope that you are going to find a brilliant baitcasting reel. All the best!