Top 10 Best External Hard Drives
- 1.1 Features For Selection Of External Hard Drives
- 1.2 Why buy external hard drives from online stores?
- 1.3 How to make improve external hard drive’s life expectancy?
- 2 TOP 10 BEST EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES
- 2.1 Seagate Ultra Slim 1TB Backup Plus
- 2.2 Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive
- 2.3 Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive
- 2.4 WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN
- 2.5 Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0
- 2.6 WD 1TB Black My Passport Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBYNN0010BBK-WESN
- 2.7 Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive - Black
- 2.8 Toshiba Canvio Connect II 1TB Portable Hard Drive, Red
- 2.9 Transcend 1 TB StoreJet M3 Military Drop Tested USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
- 2.10 WD 4TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0
- 2.11 Conclusion :
Top 10 Best External Hard Drives
The evolution of computers has been along the similar lines with the evolution of the available storage space with them. While the first computers came with just a few kilobytes of space, the most upgraded versions have space of over few terabytes in general. As the need for space increased, the development of a new tech product also came up to satiate this need; here comes the age of external hard drives.
External hard drives have made it a lot easier to carry a lot of data on the go which is pretty cool as portability is the key in the present times.
Features For Selection Of External Hard Drives
There are a lot of options in the external hard drive market with distinction in size, brand, and other specifications. Thus the buyers are often left gasping amongst these many options and find it difficult to choose the most suitable device.
The major issue in selection is the number of variable specifications. Here is the list of most important physical as well as technical specifications that could be held important in choosing the most suitable option out of the innumerable options available in the market.
Data storage capacity
However there are users who like their granite sealer to be odor free without imparting any kind of fragrance. So, there are options which provide odor free fragrances to the user who are allergic to certain kind of fragrances.
This is the most obvious yet most important aspect of selection. A hard drive that can hold enough data that is generally used by the user and yet have around 10 percent free space is considered ideal. The pricing of the drives go upscale with the increase in storage capacity and therefore it is advisable to carefully weigh the actual requirements and then go looking into the market.
There is no point in investing in a drive that doesn’t have enough space for your data; and it is equally illogical to hoard a drive that has too much space, which would eventually be left.
Being generally meant to enhance the portability of the stored data, it is important that the external hard drive being chosen shall be of the favorable size for the user.
This means that those hard drives which are meant to store that is to be frequently moved from one place of usage to other require being tiny enough to be travelled with easily. The drives that are to be meant for generally limited mobility can be relatively larger in size as the price of the smaller drives is generally more than the larger ones.
Some work environments are pretty harsh like in the case of field reporters; such users shall always ensure that they go for a device that can work even in the slight unfavorable environment. Making an investment that requires further investment and constant protection while usage is similar to buying an expensive white elephant.
The gadget market has some pretty large brands operating in it. These brands have their products priced higher than the usual and less famous brands to en-cash their brand value. Many times, the products offered by them is at par with the products which are priced far less.
The buyer shall make sure to look out for the ratings as well as the reviews of the small time products as well. If the reviews seem credible and standards are at par with the big guns then there isn’t any harm in trying them out; after all, every big fish was a tiny spawn once.
There are two categories here; the external powered non-portable ones and the system powered portable The first category requires a constant power supply through Firewire or eSATA cable to work.
This type has the maximum storage capacity and is usually connected to systems to be used as a supplementary internal drive. The second category requires only the USB connectivity from the system to work. These drives have comparatively less storage space but are really portable.
This is a factor in selection for the users who have to use the drive in the public domain and have people judging according to the choice of gadgets’ present-ability. In such cases, the buyer shall not vary from shelling out some extra bucks and coming out with a device that presentable and compliments the persona of the user.
This is usually the driving feature in the selection procedure and is given the most importance as well. It is advisable to not go and buy a hard drive in a jiffy, if possible, but keep a tab on the prices of the drives through online portals and make a move when the prices are in their most favorable stage. This small effort could end up saving some big bucks as the online discounting of the prices is usually just awesome, to say the least.
Why buy external hard drives from online stores?
The availability of the hardware at almost all the stores is one of the major achievements of the globalization of trade. The next major achievement is of online stores. E-commerce has come up to become very important part of the shopping habits of an increasing number of people.
External hard drives are amongst the most bought products from the e-commerce tech stores. There are still some inhibitions about choosing the online stores instead of the conventional stores.
Here are some of the major benefits that come along with the purchase of external hard drives from the e-commerce portals.
The online portals feature the products from all the major and upcoming brands as well as multiple variants of the same type as well. This allows the buyer to carefully look out for the most suitable option for them. This facility is usually not there in the brand showrooms as they offer products from specific brands at once.
This is probably the most important part. The online portals have several discounts and offers which make the effective price of the product lesser than the conventional market. Also as there are multiple e-commerce portals, there is competitive pricing amongst them. This works in favor of the buyers who get the same products at relatively lower prices.
In case the device is not able to perform well or has some manufacturing defect, then it could be easily replaced or returned according to the policy of the seller. This facility makes the online transactions all the more lucrative.
Availability of reviews
Almost all the online portals feature reviews from the users and thus allows the new buyers to understand the pros and cons of the device being bought with ease. This is very helpful for the clients in making an informed purchase.
The device being bought is delivered on the address requested from the buyer’s side. Usually, the online portals don’t even charge for this delivery. This rids the buyer from treading the busy markets elbowing and being elbowed by others while searching for the product of their choice.
How to make improve external hard drive’s life expectancy?
Being an electronic device and for the reason that it goes through rigorous writing, deleting and rewriting, external hard drives are prone to get damaged or unusable after some time of usage. Therefore it is important for the user to ensure that they use the drive properly. Here are some of the tips that could help you in ensuring that your device stays in working condition for the longer period.
- While connecting the hard drive, the user should ensure that the required firmware, as well as the device registration, is done Failing to do so could lead to the device malfunctioning and at times not getting recognized by the system because of the unavailability of files required for the same.
- Many users take a very casual approach while removing the device from the system by unplugging it directly without following the regular procedure. This is highly inadvisable as this would eventually lead to corruption in data and if done repeatedly would render the device useless.
- Moisture is the ultimate enemy of any electronic device. Therefore it is advisable to keep the external hard drive from any type of fluid which could spill on it and cause damage to the circuitry of the device causing irreparable damage to the hard drive. This would result in loss of important data as well as wastage of investment done into acquiring the device.
- It is important to only connect the drive to the verified and scanned systems. If there are any viruses or malware into the host system, then the device would end up being damaged from the same. This could lead to temporary as well permanent malfunctioning of the hardware.
- Always use the prescribed cables with the device. In case the user goes along with some other cable with unfavorable specifications, the internal alignment of the circuits might get damaged. Also, use of non-supported cables would mean that the drive would not be performing in its full capacity.
There are a lot of options available in the market which would eventually be helpful in satisfying the major need of data storage, but it is always advisable to go for a closely tested device to ensure that you don’t have to repent about its unsuitability after making an expensive purchase.
After going through the above information about these external hard drives, the buyer shall weigh in the actual requirements and then move ahead with buying the most appealing option out of this lot.