- 1 Top 5 Best Inflatable Kayak Reviews
- 2 Review of 5 Best Inflatable Kayak Reviews Under 100, 200 And 500 Dollars
- 2.1 #1. Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak With Deluxe Package
- 2.2 #2. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump
- 2.3 #3. Intex Challenger K1 Kayak, 1-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump
- 2.4 #4. Coleman Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak
- 2.5 #5. Advanced Elements AE1007-R Advanced Frame Convertible Inflatable Kayak
- 3 Inflatable Kayak Buying Guide
- 3.1 Things to Consider Before Buying an Inflatable Kayak
- 3.2 Which Type of Inflatable Kayak Do You Want?
- 3.3 Does Size Matter?
- 3.4 Choose Kayaks Based on the Number of Seats
- 3.5 Does Material Matter?
- 3.6 What About the Length of a Kayak?
- 3.7 What Is the Significance of a Heavier Kayak?
- 3.8 What are the Basic Inflatable Kayak Accessories?
- 3.9 What Should You Keep in Mind When Buying Kayaks Online?
- 3.10 Should You Prioritize Cost Over Usage?
- 3.11 Should You Buy a Kayak with a Large Storage Space?
- 3.12 Conclusion
Top 5 Best Inflatable Kayak Reviews
Kayaking is one of the best water sports where groups of friends and families can experience the fun and excitement of the water rapids and simply of good company. Your kayaking experience definitely needs one very important thing – an inflatable kayak.
Inflatable kayaks are much better than traditional hardshell vessels because inflatable kayaks are portable and deflatable to a very small and manageable size that does not take up much space at all. The inflatable kayak is also incredibly portable and unbelievably sturdy at the same time. Nonetheless, you cannot have complete fun unless you have the best inflatable kayak with you.
Inflatable Kayak Buying Guide
Things to Consider Before Buying an Inflatable Kayak
There are some things that you have to be bear in mind before you make your next inflatable kayak purchase. First, you should know what type of inflatable kayak is fit for you and at least know the kind of water sports adventure that you and your friend are up to. Before you buy your next boat, make sure that you are already familiar with the basics of a kayak or an inflatable kayak specifically.
These basics include the specifications of inflatable kayaks, the parts, accessories, and everything else including how to inflate or deflate a kayak. In short, if you do not know these things, better hire an expert in kayaks when you purchase one.
Which Type of Inflatable Kayak Do You Want?
Each of the inflatable kayaks in the market is designed for one or more specific uses.
1. Inflatable touring kayaks
Inflatable touring kayaks are usually streamlined to a long and thin shape. This particular structure reduces the effort needed to travel along flat water. Touring kayaks may be used in both freshwater and sea water and are equipped with a rudder for easier mobility.
The inflatable touring kayak also comes in handy and portable because it can be deflated and kept in a bag. The touring kayak could either be an inflatable 2 person kayak or an inflatable tandem kayak. Choose this type of inflatable kayak if what you want is an ordinary kayak for a normal water sports experience.
2. White Water kayaks
White Water kayaks which are inflatable may also be a 2 person inflatable kayak or the tandem type. The white water kayaks are generally shorter in length but larger sideways compared to the touring ones. With a water kayak, it is the force of the moving water itself that transports the kayak while requiring less paddling or propelling effort.
The reduced length of the white water kayak gives it easy navigation especially when faced with fallen trees and rocks. In the same way, the width of the white water kayak is essential in maintaining its stability. Choose the white water kayak if what you want is something more adventurous like navigating through water rapids.
3. Fishing kayaks
Fishing kayaks are usually larger than touring kayaks but smaller than white water kayaks. They are usually shaped more round at the front and in the back. This round shape is essential in making the kayaks stable enough for fishing and comfortable enough to be propelled by paddle. There are also rod holders, bait bucket, anchor cleat, and a tackle compartment. Obviously, choose the fishing kayak if you want to go fishing as your main goal or as a form of leisure after your water sports.
4. The Sit-On-Top Kayak
The Sit-On-Top Kayak is another type that features a seat where the rider is outside the cockpit and on top of the kayak itself. This design is perfect for the recreational purpose of this particular type of kayak. These kayaks are also wider than touring kayaks. Inflatable sit-on-top kayaks have a width that makes them stable enough for scuba diving and fishing.
Does Size Matter?
When it comes to choosing kayaks, naturally size does matter. However, it depends on your own personal preferences. Inflatable kayaks have two main advantages: they are easy to store and they are equally easy to transport. You should be aware that the heavier the inflatable kayak is, the less compact it will be when it is deflated. This is so because of the thickness of the material. Thus, you should make sure that what you want is just the right size of kayak for your needs.
Choose Kayaks Based on the Number of Seats
Inflatable kayaks can have one, two or three seats. Touring kayaks usually have two or three seats. Choose one that can accommodate you and your friends’ or family’s needs in case you would want to go out kayaking with them. Choose a kayak whose number of seats would be most useful to you. If you usually do things alone, then there is no need to choose a bigger kayak with two or three seats.
Does Material Matter?
The main material that an inflatable kayak is made of is usually nylon, PVC, hypalon or polyurethane. The most durable of these is hypalon but it is also heavier. Others have a tendency to become rigid when the kayak is inflated. Thus, it is important to decide whether you want durability and stability when dealing with the next kayak that you will purchase. Do not sacrifice durability for a lightweight capacity, or vice versa. Thus, it is more important to be with a kayak expert or a long-time owner of a kayak when purchasing your first.
What About the Length of a Kayak?
You should also try to consider the length of the inflatable kayak that you are about to buy. Kayak length depends mainly on what type of kayak it is. Touring kayaks are longer at 5 meters while white water kayaks are just 3 meters long. Length is important as to how a kayak should be used. However, length only comes secondarily to the type of use that you want for your kayak. Just be ready with accommodating a longer kayak if what you want is the touring type.
What Is the Significance of a Heavier Kayak?
The heavier a kayak is, the thicker the material it is made from and the more resistant it is to punctures. Thus, although you may want to purchase lightweight inflatable kayaks, only a heavy one guarantees more protection from punctures and usual damage from sharp edges of rocks. It all depends on your priorities.
What are the Basic Inflatable Kayak Accessories?
The basic kayak accessories include a paddle, a life vest, an air pump, a storage bag, and a patch kit.
- Inflatable kayak paddles are usually wider and longer than the traditional ones used for hardshell kayaks. These paddles can also break down easily in order to be transported with ease along with the deflated kayak.
- Life vests are necessary so you should always bring the accessory life vest that comes with the kayak when you purchase it. Moreover, every sensible paddler must wear a life vest while on the boat. With white water kayaks, expect to end up in the water more frequently and so ensure that all the passengers of your boat must be equipped with a life vest before you begin your water sports adventure. Safety should never be sacrificed for fun.
- An air pump is most indispensable when having to inflate kayaks anytime along the way. Air pumps can be hand operated or foot operated although the first is preferable because it is regarded as more efficient. However, the second is much easier to use. The thing about air pumps is that you should not use it too often with your kayaks. The most important thing to do is to make sure that your inflatable kayak does not need inflation all the time.
- A storage bag is also essential for carrying items and accessories when you have to go out kayaking. Whatever you put inside the storage bag, make sure that this storage bag is waterproof so that they can protect your things while you go on your water sports adventure. Also, make sure that the storage bag is designed to make air stay in it and keep it afloat so that it has to float when it falls off. When using the storage bag, also try to make sure that you do not carry with you so many things that it will already affect the overall load of the kayak.
- Patch kits are the most important when using inflatable kayaks. They are considered puncture repair kits that are designed to close any holes that the kayak may receive. Some repair kits may not be suitable for particular paddling situations like those that may be acquired through white water expeditions. Just make sure that your patch kit is enough to seal off a large puncture for quite some time before giving it a full repair later on.
What Should You Keep in Mind When Buying Kayaks Online?
When buying kayaks online, make sure that you can buy from a reputable site. Otherwise, you will end up buying a substandard one with a few hidden defects. Before making any purchase of an inflatable kayak online, the most important thing to remember is to find an expert to guide you with it. It is always much better to ask and be guided than to make a mistake and having to return a kayak for a refund.
Should You Prioritize Cost Over Usage?
Prioritize usage over costs. The most important reason for buying a kayak is not to save money but the reason that you have in mind. If what you want is a white water expedition, then you should buy a white water inflatable kayak that can withstand high-speed conditions. For fishing and calmer waters, it is appropriate to buy fishing kayaks. Always try to be aware of how you are going to use the kayak first before deciding on purchasing a cheaper one.
Should You Buy a Kayak with a Large Storage Space?
That should depend on how much kayaking gear you are planning to bring along with you. If you usually carry a lot of things with you perhaps for peace of mind, then go for the sit-inside kayaks. These inflatable kayaks have additional storage capacity around both hulls. Otherwise, bring only a few things with you. Also try to bear in mind that the more storage space there is in your kayak, the more you have to pay for it when you purchase it.
Whether it is the Sea Eagle 330 or the Intex Explorer K2 that you are going to purchase, buying your next inflatable kayak depends on a number of factors. Basically, you choose a kayak based on your proposed use for it – whether it should be for fishing or for white water expedition.
You should also try to consider the material that it is made of and try to anticipate the heaviness of the kayak if you want it to be as sturdy and durable. Make sure that you also have all the essential accessories that a kayak should have. Lastly, make sure that you do not sacrifice safety, storage and capacity for price.