- 1 Choosing The Right Bottle For Your Breastfed Baby
- 2 The Best Bottle For Breastfed Babies
Choosing The Right Bottle For Your Breastfed Baby
As a parent, you want what’s best for your children. Breastfeeding is one of those things that many mothers do to support the healthy growth and development of their baby. Sometimes (or a lot of times) parents decide to supplement breastfeeding with bottle feeding. It is important to choose the best bottle for breastfed babies for many reasons. Some of them include:
Possible “nipple confusion”
Baby might not adjust to certain bottle nipples well and then could either not want to breastfeed anymore or might not take the bottle well.
Breastfeeding and caring for your infant in general promotes a positive sense of emotional security and attachment in your little one, so selecting the right bottle to supplement breastfeeding is important to maintain a healthy sense of comfort in your baby.
Risk of ending breastfeeding before you would like to
This relates to nipple confusion, but additionally, when selecting the best bottle for your breastfed baby, feeding times can go smoother which will make it more likely that you will continue to both breastfeed and bottle feed. Having the wrong bottle could create more stress which could lead to not breastfeeding anymore since it is natural to want to reduce stress when we are overwhelmed (Breastfeeding takes commitment and energy).
Included in the matrix are 4 columns:
- Bottle pictures, brand and name/model – (click to view more details or to purchase).
- Available discount at Amazon.com – (if available)
- Price – These are approximate prices on Amazon.com. These can change based on availability, special promotions, and more. The scale refers to: $ = under $10, $$ = $11 to $19, $$$ = $20 to $29, $$$$ = $30+
- Rating – The average user rating on Amazon.com. This can be very helpful as it can give you a general idea of the level of satisfation of other mothers with their purchase.
Investing in the right bottle
Consider More Than Just the Cost
Investing in the right bottle for a breastfed baby is important, but how do you select what bottle you should use? Many people understandably consider the cost of the products they buy. This is okay; Times are tough, financially, for many of us. But, when it comes to the right bottle for your baby, you might want to consider spending the few extra dollars on a worthwhile item or at least don’t let the cost be your only criteria for selecting what bottles to buy.
When investing in something, you hope for a good return. This is the same for the baby bottle you choose; when investing in the right bottle, you hope for a bottle that will work for you and your baby.
Factor To Consider when buying a bottle for a breastfed baby?
In order to buy the best bottle for breastfed babies, you should consider:
Good Nipple Design
The right flow for the baby
Typically slower is better since breast milk does not come out that fast.
The right shape/size
As similar to the breast as possible so baby doesn’t experience nipple confusion.
Not too many parts
You don’t want to have to stress about getting too many little parts cleaned and sanitized.
Reasonable price for a quality product
I mentioned not too let cost be the only criteria that you use to select a bottle, but it can be one of them. Compare prices but also compare quality.
Following is a list of different baby bottles that are great for a breastfed baby. These bottles all have a lot of support for being reliable and for making the breastfeeding/bottle-feeding method a success!
So, now that you have learned more about the importance of selecting the best bottle for breastfed babies and about different styles and brands of bottles, you can use what you know about bottle-feeding a breastfed baby and what you know about your own baby and your own personal preferences to decide which bottle to try out.
A Few Tips
- If your baby is particularly sensitive, colicky, gassy, or spits up a lot, you might want to consider a bottle that focus on an anti-colic design. This could be the MAM Anti-Colic bottles or a bottle with a ventilation system.
- If your baby breastfeeds frequently and is hard too soothe by other means, you might want to select a bottle that is most representative of the natural design of the breast, so that your baby has an easier time adjusting to a new way of feeding. This could be the Breastflow by the First Years.
- If you personally prefer something easy to clean, something that doesn’t have many parts, and something affordable, then consider these traits in the bottle that you select. This might be the Avent Naturals or Medela Calma.
You know your baby best. And if you haven’t had your baby yet or not long enough to get a sense of what he or she is really like, then make your decision based on your own preferences and see how it works. Just don’t stock up until you know whether a certain brand will work well or not. Good luck and enjoy the moments you have with your little one!