Significance Of A Welding Helmets
A welding helmet is a protection gear that prevents the eyes and other sensitive areas of the face from burns of fire flames, infrared and ultra violet light. In case of a regular helmet, it is fine, for once, not to wear a helmet however; absence of a welding helmet may cause severe injuries that are sometimes fatal.
Though welding helmets have different features and traits, they all have one thing in common to safeguard the face from injuries. A regular helmet can be still be worn in case of a little damage or cracks however, a welding helmet once broken can no longer be used further as doing it would compromise the safety of the user. Hence, it becomes extremely important for a user to choose a right welding helmet that promises a long life and sustainability.
Things to understand before selecting a welding helmet
A product as crucial in role as a welding helmet is of no use if it does not meet the entire protection standard required. To ensure safety of a user, each welding comes with a safety rating provided by high commission bodies. These rating assure that the helmet has been tested thoroughly and successfully complies with the safety standards. Specification listed on the helmet briefs about the types of certification the product has and its capacity to withstand external pressure.
A welding helmet is composed of two types of lenses auto darkening lenses and passive lenses. Each of the lenses is different from one another and is used for a different purpose. The passive lenses are relatively less expensive than the auto darkening lenses however, using helmets with these lenses tend to cause strain in the muscle and tiredness to the user. On the contrary, auto darkening lenses offer better convenience causing no tiredness to the user.
Intensity of the welding activity
A welding helmet should be selected depending on the type of welding activity and level of risk involved. For instance, using welding helmet with auto darkening lenses is best when there is variation in welding activities. Passive lenses helmet might not prove useful in this scenario. Hence determining the type of lense before choosing a helmet is extremely necessary..
Few sorted top 10 best welding helmets reviews for welding use :
Top Ten Best Welding Helmets Reviews
#1. Rhino Welding Helmets
Rhino welding helmet features a welding helmet with light weight construction and long life. Being very light in weight, the helmet does not cause any painful pressure on the neck of the user regardless of the duration the head gear is worn. The total weight of the helmet is 1.8 lbs. which includes 1.2 lbs. of the shell. The durability of the helmet is such that it can easily withstand the sparks and flames of the fire on daily basis. The helmet can successfully safeguard its user even through the tense welding situations.
This welding helmets works at its best when the viewing area is pretty large as it enables the user to view every detail of the welding activity perfectly. Rhino’s welding helmet has a welding vision of over 10 square inches imparting a clear and proper view to its user.
The fit of the welding helmet is also very comfortable as it has a ratchet style designing with a headband that does not let the helmet move from its position and remains fixed. The helmet uses 2 sources of power for its proper functioning including solar panel and two CR2032 batteries. The batteries inside the helmet can be easily removed and replaced for new ones once expired.
The welding helmet also has an integrated indicator that alarms the user in case of low battery. The features of this welding helmet are sufficient to prove the worthiness the product. However, the promise of safety is further secured with variety of certification with ANSI Z87.1 / CE / CSA / AS/NZS / EN379 / ISO9001-2008.
- The welding helmet also has an integrated indicator that alarms the user in case of low battery. The features of this welding helmet are sufficient to prove the worthiness the product. However, the promise of safety is further secured with variety of certification with ANSI Z87.1 / CE / CSA / AS/NZS / EN379 / ISO9001-2008.
- Delay time of the helmet is very quick which lead to fast darkening effect to the welding helmet. 0.0004 seconds of delay time with pliable shades is definitely praise worthy aspect of the helmet.
- The facility to switch to grind mode is rarely seen in other products. By offering such a feature, rhino helmet adds a distinctive benefit in the helmet for the user.
- The product offers flexibility to work on multiple angles owing to its large viewing area even during small and tense space with full protection to the user.
- The capability of the helmet works at its best when used in conjunction with other rhino products lens covers and storage bags.
- The product comes with a 2 year warranty and promises to fix any defects, if encountered while using the product within its warranty period.
- The features demonstrated by the welding helmet are pretty good however, the product lacks designing and fancy patterns that other product offers.
#2. Licota Welding Helmet – Flames / Skull – Auto-Darkening
Although, Licota is not a fancy and premium brand in terms of delivering quality however, it has recently been in light owing to its amazing designing and colorful pattern. The users of welding helmet have always been impressed by the unique skull print on the welding helmet.
The design has multiple variants and is available in different colors which make the helmet a perfect blend of style and protection. Besides the colorful designing, helmet does an impeccable job in safeguarding the neck and other sensitive parts of the neck. The physical features of the helmet include auto darkening shades ratchet style adjustments.
The welding helmet works smoothly with the assistance of solar power in case the battery of the welding helmet expires. The helmet is fully equipped with controls that are easy to locate and are extremely simple to operate. Two knobs are placed on either side of the helmet that facilitate easy functioning and offer a user friendly interface. Levels of the light can be adjusted with the knob placed on the right side of the helmet whereas the knob placed on the left hand side on the helmet is used for adjusting the shade.
The interior controls of the helmet are equally adjustable and user friendly. Interior controls include a DIP switch, a switch for changing welding modes and a magnifying lens. The DIP switch is responsible for adjusting auto lightening delay time. The helmet enables the user to change the grinding mode with the help of another switch. The magnifying lens eliminates any requirement for cheaters.
- The helmet works smoothly without any issue with external magnifying glasses available in external stores. These magnifying lenses have wide magnifying range.
- The sensors of the helmet are extraordinary and detect arc strike more reliably and quickly. They can detect even the weakest of an arc without any problem.
- The functionality of the product is real good. It eliminates the repeated need to lift the helmet up to check whether or not the welding is done properly.
- Most of the users of Licota welding helmet have criticized the product for not darkening enough despite of setting the lightening to the darkest level.
- The headband attached to the helmet has been reported to hurt if used for a longer duration of time.
- The product has been reported to flicker a lot and takes time to turn on. Also it has been noted that the helmet is not capable of withstanding impacts and hence a user need to be really careful.
#3. Variable-Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
This helmet has everything one seeks for the purpose of welding. Equipped with multiple features, the product can handle any level of welding activity. The helmet has an auto darkening lens that has an amazing transition rate of 1/25000 second. Furthermore, the helmet works perfectly smooth with the help of solar power without any interruption.
Since the helmet operates on solar power, it eliminates constant need of replacing batteries. Owing to its properties, the helmet is best to be used for beginners and may not suit professional welders. Though the helmet is equipped with all the significant lightening features, it may not dark the lens for a longer duration and would require reversing the lens constantly.
The viewing area of the helmet is quite large and allows the user to view the picture very clearly. Besides a clear image, lens of the helmet has been designed with IR/UV coating that safeguards the eyes from harmful rays. The moment welding process begins; the lens installed in the helmet begins to function by quickly giving a dark effect.
The darkening effect prevents the eyes from constant flashes. Lens requires to be tossed once the darkening effect of the lens diminishes. The major highlight of the welding helmet is its 5-point ratchet style adjustment with a sweat band which provides a comfortable fit. The sweat band of the helmet is adjustable and can be removed easily as and when desired.
The helmet has successfully met the safety standards and is certified with ANSI and CSA commission bodies. The certification assures a user of its protection and imparts peace of mind.
- The product lasts for long years delivering high end performance as it does not breaks down even if fallen from a height. The only time the product will get damage is when it is sabotaged intentionally by the user.
- The view and clarity through the viewing pane is pretty decent as the size of the pane is just right. The helmet comes with a spare lens which marks another benefit to the product.
- The features demonstrates by the helmet are appreciated by all the users. The price tagged to the price seems way too less in comparison to the performance and traits.
- Rate of transition to give a darkening effect is very high which is a huge setback for this helmet.
#4. ArcPro 20702 Auto-Darkening Solar Powered Welding Helmet
Powered by 3 volt of lithium batteries, this welding helmet does wonders in safeguarding the user and comes with remarkable features. The integrated switch is a great relief as it automatically turns on and off the switch and prevents the battery from unnecessary wastage.
The helmet is easy to operate owing to its sensitivity and delay adjustment. Being certified with the ANSI commission body, the welding helmet further proves to comply with the safety standards all throughout the world. The rate of transition for darkening is pretty decent takes 1/25000th of a second which is similar to 0.00004 times to react.
The device can also be used to operate on solar power which eliminates excess replacement of batteries and makes the welding helmet extremely user and environmental friendly. The helmet can be operated on 2 different modes namely welding and grinding mode at multiple helmet shade. ArcPro helmet has a wide viewing field of 3.86 inches x 1.61 inches.
The lithium batteries fitted inside the welding helmet are rechargeable and can be used again after post recharge. The viewing field is pretty adjustable and can be easily reversed. As the helmet comes with padded headband, comfort fit from the welding helmet is assured making it apt to be used for long term duration. The helmet also facilitates stick welding, hence, making it apt for the beginners. The designing of the helmet is different as compared to other welding helmets.
- The helmet allows a user to adjust the welding mode to grinding mode which can be adjusted manually. Since the feature is not available in most of the helmet, this product stands out amongst other products.
- Unlike most of the regular helmet, the fumes generated during the welding process are not hazardous to the health of the user with any compromise in the quality.
- The welding helmet can be used even at dangerous location and fields with its large viewing area with enhanced comfort and ease.
- Stick welding is also an option with this helmet which makes this product appropriate for beginner. As it also imparts right level of protection, this is further suited for any new welder on training.
- Controls are void of any complication and are extremely easy to operate promoting a very user friendly approach.
- As far as the quality of the lens is concerned, it is very hard to find a replacement lens if it goes bad.
#5. Neiko 53847a Industrial Grade Welding Helmet
Neiko features a smart industrial grade welding helmet with simple designing yet displaying remarkable traits. The color and graphics on the helmet is very plain and simple with major focus on technicalities. Unlike other regular helmets, the Neiko’s welding helmet is very large and with its round built it prevents the user from fuming spark.
The fit of the welding helmet is very comfortable on neck and deflect the fume from entering the helmet. The viewing area of the helmet is another highlight which has a standard size of 2 x 4.25 inches which is quite large as compared to other available welding helmets.
With the adjustable front rear, the welding helmet allows a user to lift the part without having to remove the helmet. The helmet exceeds the safety level by safeguarding the user against harmful infrared and ultra violet rays. The headband attached to the welding helmet is pretty pliable and is flexible enough to fit as per comfort. The welding helmet does not cause any pressure on the neck or on the shoulder as it is extremely light weight in nature.
As far as the strength of helmet is concerned, it is very sturdy and does not break despite of a huge fall. Despite of being an industrial grade helmet, Neiko’s product continues to impress its user owing to its certification from ANSI Z87. The certification assures the user that the helmet is safe and meets all the safety standards applicable worldwide. Another amazing trait of this helmet is it’s significantly low cost. For all its offers, it is very much evident that the product has the capacity to compete other premium brands. Being priced at such a jaw dropping cost is like an irresistible deal.
- Glass shield of the helmet imparts super protection owing to its resistance from ultraviolet light and IR light. Safeguarding the eyes in such impeccable form speaks about the quality of the product.
- The helmet is does not deviate from its rightful position due to its flexible headband which prevents the product from falling off and posing a risk to the life of the user.
- The magnifying glass works in conjunction with the flip glass that widen up even the tiniest object used for welding. The helmet further allows a user to adjust the magnifying glass according to his eyesight.
- The cost of the product is yet another jaw dropping feature of this helmet as it is priced at relatively low cost as compared to other welding helmets available in the market.
- The product works beyond expectation exceeding each quality parameter it has been built for. However, the product is very plain and simple to look and may confuse a user regarding its ability to function at a first glance.
#6. Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
Featuring balder technology, the welding helmet imparts excellent quality of optical performance. Jackson’s safety helmet has ruled the market by storm owing to its exemplary traits and quality driven performance. The helmet allows the user to switch between 3 different headgear adjustments which make it apt for all types of welding activities.
Equipped with balder technology, the welding helmet imparts a better and clear vision enabling the user to focus on the bigger picture with every minute detail. The helmet is engineered using exquisite quality of plastic which is very light weight yet hard and sturdy.
The exterior of the welding helmet covers the face and other sensitive parts perfectly safeguarding from sparks or harmful rays. The aerodynamics of the cover plate ensures the heat does not enter the helmet and the inside remains comfortable. Ratchet style arrangement enables the user to adjust the distance between the lens and the eyes providing ample space to breath easily without causing any discomfort.
The welding helmet also has an adjustment strap around the crown which can be used to raise and lower the hood. There are two knobs placed on either side of the helmet. These knobs facilitate adjustment of the helmet without having to remove it or interrupting the welding process.
The welding helmet comes with an exceptional warranty of 5 years promising long years of performance. For all it offers, the welding helmet also comes with unique designing and colors which makes the product stand apart from other related products.
- With Jackson safety helmet, there is no need to stick to one single angle for welding. It allows a user to weld from a multiple angle with no compromise in the quality and clarity of welding object.
- Metal used for the infrastructure of this helmet makes it highly durable and able to withstand high fumes of flames with thorough protection to the user.
- The trendy designing and attractive coloring pattern of the helmet makes it up-to-the-minute and widely popular amongst the youth.
- The strike out aspect of this welding helmet is its warranty period of over 5 years that promises a user to fix any defect encountered with the product throughout its usage.
- The product fails to involve test buttons which most of the helmet now a days trying to equip in their product for better user focus.
- The welding helmet does not include different other modes such as grinding and torch mode which limits the use of the helmet to certain welding activities.
#7. Lincoln Electric VIKING 3350 Black Welding Helmet
Lincoln’s welding helmet is an absolute performer and has marked its position among other rivalry brands. Besides offering maximum protection, the welding helmet offers 10 other variants with different style and pattern leaving a user with plenty of options. The helmet meets perfection owing to its stylish designing and extraordinary protection features.
Being installed with auto-darkening lens, Lincoln’s 3350 successfully manage to provide impeccable optical clarity. Its noticeably large viewing area, allows free head movement and clear vision quality. The auto darkening lens of the helmet offer easy sensitivity adjustment ranging from DIN 6 to 13 preventing user’s eye to get flashed during welding.
The optical clarity of the lens is further enhanced with the facility of 4 optical categories namely optical class, diffusion of light class, angle dependence of luminous transmittance class and variations in luminous transmittance. These 4 variations in optical categories take the view to a whole new level of clarity. This absolute performer has a mere weight of 567 gm, which makes the helmet easy to carry and comfortable to wear.
The helmet is powered by powerful lithium batteries of 3 volts which are rechargeable in nature and can be put back to use over again. The backup power source of solar power is an added advantage of the welding helmet and has an on/off switch for easy functionality.
Lincoln’s ultimate performer has been tested thoroughly on various parameters and has been certified with ANSI, CAN/CSA and CE requirements. Also, the welding helmet comes with a low battery light that quickly indicates the user about the dripping battery.
- The helmet offers plethora of options to upgrade the technology used in this product owing to its easy replacement of components with better and advanced technology parts.
- The optical clarity of the product is such that it can even challenge most of the premium brands by delivering impressive results with TIG, MIG and others necessary details.
- The transition time to switch from dark to light adjustment and back to light adjustment is really quick and aids a user in getting the welding process finished completely.
- The battery life of the helmet is approximately 2000 hours which can be utilized even if the helmet is used continuously throughout the day and night.
- Although the helmet has 10 different styling patterns; the glossy finish of the helmet gets scratched easily.
- Though battery backup is an added advantage with this helmet, it has been noted that the helmet consume the power quickly with constant need of replacing the batteries over and again.
- When most of the companies are thriving to product light weight helmets, the product is known to be a little heavier in comparison to other products which makes a major flaw in the helmet.
#8. Antra AH6-260-0000 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
Antra’s welding helmet presents a wide range of applications and is best to be used for grinding tasks. The welding helmet works perfectly in conjunction with applications such as ARC, TIG and MIG. Besides being compatible with plasma applications, it blends well with other components too including magnifying lens.
This remarkable feature of this welding helmet opens a wide opportunity to upgrade the components with better technology. The construction of the helmet has been made with a profuse aim of protecting the face and other sensitive area such as neck of the body. The lower bottom part of the welding helmet is relatively wider to safeguard the neck without causing it any tiredness or strain.
The helmet does an above average job in blocking the fumes of the spark from entering inside and compromising the vision quality. Antra do not disappoint its user in terms of fit as well owing to its easy adjustability. The helmet can be adjusted as per the convenience of the user providing a secure fit. The helmet has a total weight of 1 pound which is extremely light in comparison to other similar helmets. The sensitivity knob of the helmet is pretty adjustable in nature and is easy to operate.
- With a superb and extraordinary advantage of available with 16 different shades, the product allows a user to adapt to variety of welding techniques using each shade catering to a different purpose.
- Helmets associated with even premium brands may not support more than 2 welding techniques however; this unique product supports variety of welding techniques with most impressive and ultimate results.
- It only takes this helmets a mere od 0.00004 seconds to switch from auto-darkening mode to lightening mode preventing the welder from unwanted and unpredictable hazards.
- The helmet is distinctive in terms of features it provides however most of the users have complained about the front part being absolutely flat.
- Though the power back up from solar energy is a good alternate it is not a viable option to be used for long term use. The battery of the helmet needs to be charged constantly in case of its usage for longer period of times.
- Improper fitting of the screws in the helmet may pose a fitting problem to the welder who may get distracted from its welding procedure.
#9. Miller Electric, Welding Helmet, Shade 3 and 8-12, Black
Miller’s electric welding helmet makes a perfect fit for all the welders at beginner’s level. Although, the helmet is best suited for beginners, it has also been appreciated by professional following its fantastic clarity and versatility of features. The craftsmanship of the helmet focuses on imparting strength to the helmet and gives it a beautiful futuristic look.
The auto dark lens equipped in the welding helmet may not be expensive enough however they have integrated efficient optics that provides a clear vision of the welding material without blurring the vision. The automatic sensitivity adjustment works excellently as it safeguards the user from sudden flash in the eyes.
The transition time to impart the darkening effect by the lens is very fast and gets activated in no time. This feature is the most praise worthy among its user. Another best aspect is the reinforced variable shades that provide a high quality performance to the users. The welding helmet can use plethora of application for its smooth functioning including TIG or MIG and hence makes it reliable to be used by a professional as well.
- Miller’s helmets allow a user to operate via 4 different modes enabling a user to work on different welding techniques and cater to different uses.
- The helmet has remarkable 4 arc sensors that have the ability to detect the arc instantly and imparts the darkening effect without any delay.
- Digital controls of the helmet are technologically advanced and equipped with simple techniques assisting a user to switch quickly from operating mode to another without any hassle.
- The viewing area is wide enough to scan the welding object as well as the surroundings the activity is operated in.
- Miller’s helmet is undoubtedly a performer when it comes to both performance and protection however the product tends to fog up really quickly in case of heavy usage for longer time.
#10. Hobart 770753 Pro Variable Auto-Dark Helmet
Powered by lithium batteries for its operation, Hobart present a quality driven and durable welding helmet. Use of high quality polyamide material for its construction imparts strength and adds to the life of the helmet. The material used for the construction of this helmet ensures that the product could easily endure the changes in weather.
Though it is best recommended to be used for a welder at beginner’s level, it can easily perform a task or two matching the requirement of a fully trained professional. The welding procedure is easily facilitated due to the relatively large viewing area of welding helmet.
The product does an exemplary task in covering the face and neck of the user perfectly preventing it from being exposed to harmful sparks and rays. This absolute performer is equipped with remarkable 4 arc sensors that facilitate arc detection without posing a problem. Being highly sensitive to light, the lens darkens the moment a light is flashed with intensity.
The helmet may look bulky and heavy at first glance however; the helmet surprisingly weighs only 2.4 pounds making it light weight and comfortable. The security and protection feature of the helmet is further enhance thorough its certification meeting CSA/CD and ANSI Z87.1-2010 standards.
- The helmet is known as the best darkening helmet as it automatically imparts a great darkening effect to the lens by diminishing the light quickly.
- The welding mode can be switched from normal mode to grinding mode or cutting mode as and when required by the welder owing to its operation with different modes.
- The helmet is very comfortable and light weight that does not strain or sore the muscle if used for longer period of hours.
- The most enticing feature of the helmet is its promise of 2 year warranty which covers the damages of the helmet within this period.
- The overall fit of the helmet is pretty comfortable however; the headband attached to it needs repeated adjustment for a secure positioning.
Though each of the welding helmets caters to a major purpose of safeguarding there is some or the feature in each of the product that marks a distinction. Some of the helmets are known for their brand reputation while others may be known for their unique designing or extraordinary fast transition rate.
All the welding helmets are better than the other in some or the other form. It is best to evaluate and prioritize your expectations and then choose the helmet accordingly.
You Can Check Too :